Photo Legion d'Honneur  (Frontpage)  (Thumbnail Index)  (What's New)


Photo Legion d'Honneur
c. 1871?
Charles Deering McCormick Library of Special Collections |
Northwestern University Library

The home of the Legion d'Honneur also known as the Hôtel de Salm. It was was designed between 1782 and 1787 by the architect Pierre Rousseau for a German Prince, Prince Frederick III of Salm-Kyrbourg. However the owner wasn't able to enjoy it for long. This palace of royalty was declared national property at the French Revolution on 13 May 1804 and when Napoleon came to power he turned it into its present use as the home for France's highest destiguest honour -- the Legion d'Honneur.

At the 1915
Pacific International Exposition in San Fransico, the French government built a copy of this building for the worlds fair. Shortly afterwards France granted permission for a permanent copy to be built by the city:

California Palace of the Legion of Honor



Hôtel de Salm
Damaged after
Paris Commune, 1870-1871

Legion d'Honneur c. 1804


By:  Natasha Wallace
Copyright 1998-2004 all rights reserved
Created 8/11/2004
Updated 8/11/2004



Puppet Shows

Puppet Shows