The Palazzi Barbaro (plural) is made
up of two adjacent buildings. The one on the left was built in 1425, Gothic
in style, and is the one owned (in part) by the Curtis family. The one
on the right is more Baroque (possibly 16th or 17th century).
In 1881 Daniel and Ariana Curtis
rented the upper story apartments of which they eventually bought in 1885.
Their son, Raph
Curtis studied painting with
Sargent in Paris. Sargent's father was a cousin of Daniel Curtis. During
their stay, the Curties' would receive visitors -- many expatriate Americans
with Harvard or Boston connections such as Isabella Stewart Gardner, Vernon
Lee, Henry James (who would model the Barbaro for his charater Milly Theale's
palazzo in his book The Wings of the Dove), and John Singer Sargent
(who painted the Curtises' in the opulent Ballroom).
The Palazzo is located second in
from the Accademia bridge.
From: Philip Resheph
Date: October, 2000
If you look at the left of F6, on
the northern side of the Grand Canal there is a small canal (the
Rio dell'Orso) which leads away from the Grand Canal north-northeast. The
Curtis Palazzo Barbaro is on the Grand Canal on the left (western) side
of Rio Dell'Orso.