of the Gesuiti
(What's New) (Thumbnail
Index) (Refer This Site)
of St. Lawrence", 1548-49, wood panel transferred onto canvas, church of
the Gesuiti, Venice
Church of the Gesuiti
The Church of Gesuiti (Cannaregio,
Campo dei Gesuiti) but always referred to as Gesuiti: designed by D. Rossi.
Inside is the Titian masterpiece The Martyrdom of St. Lawrence.
The church was built for the Jesuits
in 1717-29, 60years after the foundation was laid. This was the first
monastery in Venice.
The opulence of the interior, with
proliferation of green and white marble, gives the impression that the
church is clothed in damask.
Copyright 1998-2004 all rights reserved