Founded in 1869 by
William Wilson Corcoran in 1869 as Washington's first museum of
It is known
internationally for its
distinguished collection of historical and modern American art as well
as European painting, sculpture and decorative arts.
It was originally
situated at the
corner of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue [now known as the Renwick
-- thumbnail], but rapid growth forced the relocation of the Gallery in
1897 to its present location between New York Avenue and West Potomac
A fine example of French Beaux Arts design with Greek inspired details,
the Corcoran was designed by Ernest Flagg who (. . .) attended
Ecole des Beaux Arts in Paris.
DC National Reg. Historic Places)